We use cookies to improve your experience on this website. Read More Allow Cookies


In This Section

US Locations Housing required

Restricted Job Locations Requiring Housing

The Department of State recommends that applicants only work with employers who identify safe, suitable and affordable housing. To be considered safe, housing must, at a minimum, meet all applicable local laws and regulations, including with respect to ventilation, utilities, and occupancy rates. Transportation must be reliable, affordable, and convenient between participants’ residences and worksites.

Due to housing difficulties, J1ers who plan on staying in the following areas must have either permanent or termporary accommodation arranged in order to have their DS-2019/ work paper approved by the US Sponsor.

Examples include:

  •   Long Island
  •   Cape Cod
  •   Myrtle Beach
  •   New Jersey
  •   Virginia Beach
  •   Rhode Island

We encourage all J1ers traveling to these areas, and the rest of the United States, to begin looking for housing as soon as possible as affordable and suitable housing in seasonal areas is very scarce. We highly recommend that you ask your employer for housing advice when discussing your job with them. 

A housing aide is available in your J1 Account under the US Housing Database section. 

© 2020 SAYIT | Web design by Granite Digital